If you run a Setup program without starting the Windows Installer service, you may receive the following error message:
The Windows Installer service does not start if you clear the Load system services check box in the System Configuration utility. To use the Windows Installer service when system services are not loaded, you must start the service manually. To do this, follow these steps.
Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8
- From Start, search for computer. (In Windows 10, use the Search box from the Start menu. In Windows 8 or 8.1, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
- Right-click or swipe down on Computer in the search results, and then tap or click Manage.
- In the console tree, tap or click Services and Applications, and then tap or click Services.
- In the details pane, right-click or swipe down on Windows Installer, and then tap or click Start.
Windows 7 and Windows Vista
- Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Manage.
Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- In the console tree, click Services and Applications, and then click Services.
- In the details pane, right-click Windows Installer, and then click Start.